TABS

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Fourth of July Handprint shirts | Red White & Blue!

I saw this idea on Pinterest, it looked super easy & I had the supplies all I need were some cheap white shirts & we made our first craft in a long time & It was SO EASY!

Original Pin I saw

All you'll need

  • Freezer Paper (or wax paper?)
  • Fabric Paint (red & blue)
  • White shirts
  • red white & blue beads (optional)
{along with some scissors, and iron & maybe some glitter}


Place sheets of freezer paper shiny side UP inside your unpainted shirts, then iron the shirts for a few seconds on high, this is slightly stick the paper to the inside of the shirt & protect any paint from seeping through to the back to the shirt.  Ironing also helps smooth out your shirt for an optimal painting surface!





(My 10 year old daughter's shirt)

Once the paper is ironed to the inside, we're ready to paint!

We decide where we want the handprint & with a sponge apply blue fabric paint to my daughter's hand




I asked my daughter if she wanted to freehand her red stripesor if she wanted me to make a stencil and she said she'd rather have a stencil. I got the idea from Deceptively Educational. So I made her a stencil with freezer paper, it was super easy and turned out great!


I made her a stencil
 

I carefully ironed on the stencil, shiney side down on the shirt
 
 

Then she easily painted the red lines




She wanted a sparkly handprint, so we tired to add a little fine glitter, not knowing if it would last or not)

Turned out cute!

For my Toddler I wanted to got with a more "messy" look so I hand painted the lines, purposely fading them out at the ends.

 


I had a white pair of leggings for my toddler & decided to jazz them up.
I used a star punch and and wax paper. Ironed the stars shiny side down and painted over them!

I ended up making his tee a muscle tank because the shirt I bought him was bit snug

Then I made a shirt for me , I need all my kids in on this, even my 12 year old son, even though crafts are teh LAST thing he ever wants to do :) But I couldn't leave him out.
I choose to design the shirt a bit different for me because I wanted my kids handprints and I wanted them over my heart (I know, awww) and so I chose to make my "flag" vertical.

I apparently didn't get a single pic of this in progress?
Must of been to busy keeping painted 17-month old hands off of things...

 


I also found this pin on pinterest (but couldn't find the source!)

So we took inspiration and jazzed up my daughter's shirt with fringe/beads

I cut the slits in the shirt for her, but she decided the bead pattern added all those beads!
It took a while but was done during a couple episodes of Jessie on Disney :)


We've yet to decide if we're going to cut the neckline yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment