TABS

Friday, July 12, 2013

Lactation Cookies to help with breastmilk production for nursing or exclusively pumping moms!

I have been wanting to share this cookie recipe for awhile now and have decided this is the best way-- I have a couple other blogs {a more personal family blog & a more personal personal private blog}just recently started this one for the purpose of all fun, informational, helpful tidbits I feel I just have to share with people.

I'll start with saying I have a 6 month old little boy would is currently exclusively breastfed. Yes I'm calling it that even though I EXCLUSIVELY PUMP breast milk for him. Some may say he is not technically "breast-fed" at the boob... but he has drank 100% my breast milk for his entire life, I'll call it what I want.

I've tried a few different Lactation cookies ones and this is the one I've found to be the most delish.  I must say when I heard of this idea of making cookies and eating them to help boost my supply it kinda sounded like a miracle... {maybe too good to be true?} I mean I've never been an "over supplier" I have a small small {dwindling} freezer stash but I keep up with him and that is all that matters...but I have a major supply DIP pretty much once every month when my wonderful friend AF visits and at the time I'm desperately trying everything I can think to keep up.
And, um, I like cookies.





I must say, I used Coconut oil instead of butter and the batter tasted like an Almond Joy candy bar and the cookies too, were so yummy.

{It's not recommended you eat the raw batter if you're pregnant, of course, because of the raw egg...but if you're not, go for it-- it's more potent that way!}


INGREDIENTS:








  • 1 cup butter or margarine {or same amount of  virgin coconut oil!}
  • 1 & 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 4 T water
  • 2 T flax seed meal {I used milled flax seed, not sure what the diff would be?}
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 t vanilla (optional, for flavor)
  • 2 cups plain flour {if I had it would of done half whole wheat flour}
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them {best not to use quick oats}
  • 2-4 tablespoons of brewers yeast (this is the magic ingredient – not to be confused with bakers yeast or any other yeast) {I used 4T}
  •  A cup or so of chocolate chips {or anything you'd like to mix in.. I added coconut flakes, you could at nuts or raisins...}
  •  
    IMPORTANT! Do not substitute the brewers yeast for any other products or yeasts… that’s the ingredient which makes them work, along with oats. Nutritional yeast and bakers yeast is different. If you don’t notice much of an increase the first time or if you need to increase your supply even more, add more brewers yeast.

    I found these products on Amazon

    Brewer's Yeast

    Coconut Oil

    Flax Seed

    Oats

    MIX:
    Preparation time is around 15 minutes.
    Preheat the oven to 350F
    • Mix together 2 tablespoons of flax seed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.
    • Cream (beat well) butter {or coconut oil} and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well.
    • Stir flax seed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended.
    • Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips.
    • Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips.
    • Scoop or drop onto a greased or lined baking tray. 



    • Bake for 8-12 min.
    My cookie dough turned out pretty wet, possibly because of the oil instead of butter, I've read some peoples were more dry with butter. Either way they'll taste good! Mine spread out while cooking and made pretty big cookies - I still got about 24 cookies out of this batch.



    Like I said, they were very delish and I did see a slight increase in my output. I was expecting more of an increase but again I was desperate when I tried and it was near my time-of-the-month. But I didn't have to pull from my freezer & I kept up with my baby's demands so that is a win for me!!

    I ate cookies for breakfast & snacked on them all day .
    I labeled my bags of cookies "BOOB COOKIES" to deter my kids from eating them {which wouldn't of hurt them if they did} and it worked :)

    I think next time I'll play with different add-ins. And try the version with butter. Coconut oil was good, but it's expensive and 1C took half my jar.

    I would highly recommend this recipe if you are trying increase your supply. It's easy {the hardest thing will be finding Brewer's Yeast - you can check healthfood stores, all I checked was Wal*Mart and Target and they did NOT have it (*when this was posted)- so I got mine on Amazon.} and it's a great excuse to EAT MORE COOKIES. Who doesn't like cookies?

    I used a Medela Pump and LOVED IT find them on Amazon Click HERE
    http://amzn.to/1LUIKAE


    I found this recipe on the Australian website bellybelly.com

    8 comments:

    1. If I'm gluten free, can I substitute the oats? I know you said the brewers yeast and oats are what makes it work, but do you know if there's something else I could use?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Check out my comment below. I meant to type it as a reply, hope its helpful!

        Delete
    2. You could try a gluten free oatmeal, pure oats are naturally gluten free but youll have to find ones that specify they are made in a gluten free facility. If you cannot tolerate oats just try adding brewers yeast and flax into your diet they are also important parrs, maybe add it to a gluten free cookie recipe you already have? I know milkmakers.com is a company that makes and sells mixes and cookies and they have a gluten free version!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I, actually found the Brewer's Yeast from Whole Foods store...perhaps Trader's Joe have 'em..? U, ladies, check 'em out. :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. I added in an extra 1/2 C of coconut oil, no butter and a T of almond extract...delicious!!!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Will ground flaxseed work? Just skip the water/paste step?

      ReplyDelete
    6. I bought my Brewers yeast at GNC.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Hello! I'm the founder of BellyBelly, the recipe is from my website :) Can you please correct your link - the .com domain is not mine and doesn't link to my site. The link should be:

      https://www.bellybelly.com.au/breastfeeding/lactation-cookies/

      Thank you so much!

      Kelly Winder
      Founder, BellyBelly
      https://www.bellybelly.com.au

      ReplyDelete